Do you have a chipped or broken tooth? Dental bonding can be an economical solution to these dental problems and other minor cosmetic dentistry issues. Dental bonding is an affordable solution to make your teeth and smile look like new again.
Aside from the fact that dental bonding is a relatively inexpensive solution to minor dental issues, it is sometimes covered by most insurance plans.
What Is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is a type of cosmetic dentistry treatment where a tooth-coloured composite resin is added to the tooth, shaped and sculpted, then hardened by a special light before it is finally polished.
This dental treatment adopts the name “bonding” because of the dental material used will actually bonds to the tooth. Dental bonding is an ideal dental procedure for a minor dental problem like unnecessary gaps between teeth and broken or chipped tooth. Dental bonding can also be used for filling small cavities because it’s more tooth-coloured and more appealing than silver fillings.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Dental Bonding
Despite the fact that dental bonding is more affordable than dental veneers, it also has its shortcomings.
Pros of dental bonding include:
- Low cost: dental bonding is a low-cost dental procedure. The average cost of dental bonding treatment is about $200 to $500 per tooth. Besides, this “low cost” may be covered by your dental insurance plans, especially if the dental bonding procedure is carried out mainly to fill cavities or for structural reasons.
- Fast: dental bonding can be carried out in just one dental visit. The entire bonding procedure takes about 30 to 60 minutes per tooth.
- Very easy: dental bonding follows a very easy and comfortable procedure. Anaesthesia is not usually required before the dental bonding procedure, unless if the procedure is to fill a decayed tooth. Also, dental bonding requires the removal of the least amount of enamel compared to the dental crown and dental veneers.
Cons of dental bonding include:
- The bonding material can easily get stained: the bonding material used for dental bonding can easily get stained over time unlike porcelain veneers and dental crowns, especially if poor lifestyle or poor oral hygiene is followed. Taking of tobacco or tobacco products, coffee, red wine, tea, etc. can stain the bonding material, making it to become conspicuous among other teeth. The only way to avoid staining is to avoid these substances.
- Less durable: compare to other dental procedures, dental bonding Houston is less durable. The bonding material used in this procedure is not as strong and durable as dental crowns and porcelain veneers. As a result, dental bonding can easily chip. However, with good and proper oral care practices, it should last for about 3 to 7 years.
When Dental Bonding Houston is a Good Choice
Dental bonding is a dental procedure for masking imperfections in your tooth by applying a tooth-coloured composite resin to your tooth. If you have a small dental issue like a gap between your teeth, a cracked or discoloured tooth, or silver fillings that stands out when you smile, then dental bonding may be an option. You may choose dental bonding for any of the following reasons:
- To fill a small gap in-between your teeth
- To repair a small crack or chip in your tooth
- To reshape your tooth
- To cover stain or discoloration
- To protect your tooth root that is exposed as a result of receding gums
- To repair dental decay by filling a dental cavity with tooth-coloured composite resin.
- To make your tooth look bigger than it actually is. This is normally done to make the tooth match the other teeth.
So, if you have an ugly gap in-between your teeth, a cracked, chipped, or stained tooth, or other minor cosmetic dentistry issues, dental bonding may be right for you. Schedule a dental appointment at Edge Dental for a well done Dental bonding Houston.
How Is Dental Bonding Procedure Carried Out?
As stated above, Dental bonding near me involves a relatively simple dental procedure that can be performed in Houston by our well-trained and experienced team.
Firstly, you need to visit your dentist who will examine your dental case to determine if dental bonding is suitable for your dental case. Your dentist would then select the right shade of composite resin that perfectly matches the colour of your natural teeth. Once your dentist has selected the right shade, he or she would apply a gentle phosphoric acid to the surface of the affected tooth. The acid roughens and etches the surface of the tooth in order to enable the composite resin to adhere better to your tooth. This process doesn’t hurt.
After etching, the bonding material is then applied to the surface of the tooth. Your dentist will shape, sculpt, and smooth the bonding material to perfectly match the shape of your natural tooth. After then, a special light (ultraviolet light) is used to harden and set the bonding material to bond it to your tooth.
Once the bonding material is completely hardened, your dentist will finish your repaired tooth by shaping, polishing, and smoothing the bonded material so that it looks and feels just like the other natural teeth. When this dental bonding procedure is performed by a well-trained and experienced dentist like the professional team at Edge Dental Houston, your repaired tooth will be nearly impossible to notice.
Maintenance of Dental Bonding
Since dental bonding can easily get stained and chipped than any other form of cosmetic dentistry, adequate maintenance is required to keep the repaired teeth long-lasting and looking natural. Here are some tips to follow to maintain the colour and shape of your dental bonding:
- Reduce your consumption of tea, coffee, and red wine if you can’t avoid it completely.
- Quit smoking if you are a smoker. Aside from the fact that smoking will stain the dental bonding, it can also increase your risk of contracting oral cancer and periodontal disease.
- Avoid biting hard or chewing on objects, such as fingernails, ice, and hard foods. Chewing hard foods and object can cause dental bonding to chip.
- In case you notice any sharp edges on the repaired tooth or if you notice strange feeling on your tooth when you bite down, consult your dentist immediately.
Dental bonding requires some professionalism and artistic skill to achieve optimal results. Therefore, it is important for you to choose a dentist who is well experienced with the dental bonding procedure. If you need the service of a professional dentist for dental bonding Houston or for a dental bonding near me, don’t hesitate to consult the professional team at Edge Dental Houston.