Cleanings, Exams & X-rays
Professional Cleanings, Exams, and X-rays
Professional cleanings performed by a licensed dentist or hygienist are just as important to your dental health as daily brushing and flossing. Using specialized tools and training, your hygienist at Edge Dental will remove:
• Plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. Bacteria in the mouth form plaque, which collects on teeth and causes decay, gum disease and gingivitis
• Tartar from teeth surfaces. Tartar, or calculus, is plaque that has become hardened on the teeth; its removal requires scaling
• Surface stains from teeth through polishing
Some patients will require a deep cleaning due to gum disease and past periodontal treatments. Dr. Justin Lai will review your past dental history and identify any issues you may need treatment for.
Regular examinations, by Dr. Justin Lai, help detect and prevent health issues before they become serious. Consistent dental check-ups help catch problems when they are small and easier to treat. Left unattended, small treatable problems become worse and may require more extensive, expensive procedures to repair. Dental examinations generally include the following:
• Gum disease screening
• Oral cancer screening
• Visual tooth decay evaluation
• Gum pocket measurement and tracking
• X-ray examination to detect: tooth decay, cysts, tumors, problems below the gums and other hidden issues
Regular examinations by Dr. Justin Lai are very important for your health. Remember, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” –Benjamin Franklin
Dental x-rays are a primary tool for early identification of dental problems. Your Houston dentist can detect issues with x-rays before they become problems, saving you money in the long run by preventing the need for more expensive procedures or surgeries. X-rays are primarily used to detect internal tooth decay, cysts (fluid filled sacks at the base of your teeth), tumors, impacted teeth, and teeth that are still erupting.