Crooked teeth have a significant impact on the quality of your smile. When your smile is not what you want it to be, it can also have a major effect on your confidence. While a less than perfect smile is one of the biggest concerns, misaligned teeth can cause several other issues as well. Misaligned teeth can impact your oral health, causing uneven tooth wear, an increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease, tooth damage, gum recession, bruxism, and more.
Metal braces have long been the only available treatment for corrected tooth misalignment. Although teeth braces are effective for straightening crooked teeth, the idea of sporting a metal smile can be more embarrassing than having to live with crooked teeth. You can learn more about braces here. At Edge Dental, we can correct your misaligned teeth without the need for wearing braces. Say hello to the Invisalign system!
Traditional Treatment with Braces
For many decades, you only had one option when it came to correcting crooked teeth, metal braces. Metal braces are still used today and they are highly effective. This treatment uses metal brackets and wires to realign and stabilize your teeth. The metal wires are responsible for most of the work. These wires are anchored at the back of your mouth by metal bands that are placed around your back teeth. The wires are secured to each bracket, which is bonded to the front of your teeth, by elastic O-rings. You can also choose the color of your elastic bands at each visit!
While effective, and popular, metal braces are not the ideal solution for everyone. For many patients, particularly older teens and adults, the idea of a shiny metal smile can be more stressful than not doing anything about your crooked teeth. Additionally, metal braces can irritate, and even injure the soft tissues of your mouth, and treatment can last several years.
Correcting Your Teeth with Invisalign
Today, there is an aesthetic and much more convenient alternative available to metal braces. Invisalign is a treatment that uses removable, clear plastic aligners to move your crooked teeth into the proper alignment and position. They are completely invisible and disappear from view when you wear them. They will not be visible to people when you speak or smile. So, no more embarrassment!
After our dentists have made a clinical examination and determined you to be a suitable fit to benefit from aligner technology, Invisalign clear aligners are made from digital impressions of your mouth. These impressions are then displayed on a computer monitor, which lets us design custom aligners for your needs by using the latest CAD CAM technology. The aligners, which are similar to whitening trays, are removable and must be worn over your teeth. However, to provide you with the best results possible, you should wear them for no less than 20 to 22 hours a day.
How Invisalign Works
With Invisalign, your treatment involves a series of upper and lower aligners. Each set of aligners is designed to gradually move your teeth into their proper positions. They are meant to be worn for two weeks at a time before moving on to the next set. Depending upon the length of your treatment, you may go through anywhere from 18 to 30 sets.
When you wear your first set of aligners, you will feel slight discomfort. This is because the aligners are pushing your teeth into alignment. After wearing a set of aligners for 2 weeks, they will become loose. At this stage, you will move to the next set of aligners which will continue to move your teeth in the desired position.
Once your treatment is complete, you are provided with a retainer, which will prevent your teeth from moving back to their previous position, and to help you to maintain your beautiful new smile. Vivera are custom-made retainers offered by Invisalign are removable prostheses, which are also worn in a similar way to the aligners.
The aligners work similarly to traditional braces, but without the brackets and wires. Instead, your teeth are moved by the plastic of the aligners. The plastic aligner puts gentle pressure on your teeth, which then places pressure on your periodontal ligaments, which attach your teeth to the gums and jaw bones. These ligaments widen with force, which allows movement of the teeth. The teeth are then guided to where they need to be.
Benefits of Invisalign Treatment
Invisalign offers several benefits:
• Invisible – The invisalign clear aligners are completely invisible when you wear, and they don’t affect your smile and facial esthetics. So, no more metal mouth. You can wear them to meetings and social events without the fear of embarrassment.
• Convenience – They are removable. You can enjoy all of your favorite foods without restriction. Your oral care is also easier. Simply remove your aligners before eating or bushing. One you’re done, wash and clean your aligners with warm water and put them back on.
• Comfort – Aligners do not irritate your oral tissues, unlike the metallic braces which irritate and injure the lips and cheeks. Metal braces also create difficulties during speech.
• Fewer Visits – You have fewer office visits overall. We will give you numbered sets of aligners, which you will continue to use as instructed. Therefore , frequent adjustments and dental visits are not required, unlike teeth braces which require frequent adjustment visits.
• Shorter treatment – treatment can generally be completed in shorter duration with Invisalign aligners. Typically, treatments take 9 to 15 months, with most achieving the desired results in less than one year. However, more complex cases may take longer.
With Invisalign, we can correct the alignment of your teeth, and no one will ever be the wiser. So, if you’re ready to get a beautiful smile with Invisalign clear aligners, call Edge Dental today to learn more and find out if Invisalign is right for you at (281) 940-8940. A beautiful smile is awaiting you. So, what are you waiting for?