Are you tired of looking in the mirror and feel uncomfortable with your appearance? If so, then you probably need an orthodontic treatment. Orthodontics is not a purely aesthetic issue aimed at obtaining a perfect denture. On the contrary, it is one of the fundamental keys of good oral health. Orthodontics is a specialty that deals with diagnosing, correcting and even preventing anomalies (malocclusions) in the shape, position, relationship and function of the teeth and jaws, face and functional mastication disorders. Orthodontics allows the patient to have a healthy mouth, a pleasant smile, a facial appearance not conditioned by dental or maxillary alterations and, finally, teeth that are more likely to last a lifetime if they are properly cared for. Braces are fixed on your teeth for a period of time, in order to carry out dental movements. Do you want to know a little bit more about braces? Well, then just keep reading!
Why Do We Put Braces On Teeth?
The braces allow to move individually each and every one of the teeth in any direction of the space. Fixed orthodontics can be performed at any age and not only for aesthetic reasons, but to improve the functionality of the teeth, for example in chewing; rectify the position of the jaws, restoring their natural alignment; and even correct phonetic defects caused by the bad position of the teeth. So, knowing this, here are the 4 main reasons for putting braces:
- Teeth with malocclusions (sprains, overlapping teeth and so on).
- It is good to know that malocclusions are not simple aesthetic errors, but can cause major problems such as cavities and infections due to the complication of cleaning teeth.
- When your teeth are widely separated.
- When your bite is bent, and this is something that you should pay close attention to because the type of brackets you choose will help you avoid various problems such as problems with chewing, headaches or severe gum infections.
Procedure Of Getting Braces
In a first visit to the clinic, you will have a series of diagnostic tests to assess your case accurately. Subsequently, these tests will be analyzed by an orthodontists, who will outline a treatment plan to suit you. Taking into account your needs and priorities, they will advise you on the orthodontic system that is considered the most appropriate. The braces are cemented in the geometric center of the surface of the teeth. We can distinguish two types of braces depending on the place where they are cemented. On one hand, the cemented ones on the vestibular -or visible- face of the tooth. On the other hand, cemented in the internal face of the tooth, as is the case of lingual braces. These are totally imperceptible, And finally, Invisalign, a new and almost invisible system, which makes them, therefore, the most aesthetic orthodontic system in the market.
Ceramic Braces Vs Metal
When choosing the braces, the first thing to keep in mind is that the patient or the person who will take them will not notice large differences in its function depending on whether the material of their composition is one way or another: metallic, ceramic (of the color of the own teeth) or transparent sapphire. The difference between metallic or aesthetic braces will be mainly visual. The seconds pass more unnoticed and are not appreciated in a short distance; On the other hand, metal brackets offer greater resistance.
Teeth After Braces
The benefits of good orthodontics go beyond a beautiful smile. The teeth after using braces also generate a significant improvement in aesthetics on the face: the bite is corrected and we are able to align the teeth harmonizing the image of our entire face.
FAQs About Traditional Metal Braces
What Are the Various Types of Braces?
- The metal braces: These are the best known and the oldest.
- Aesthetic: Very famous among people, since they have effective results and are not seen with the naked eye in the mouth. It is also called invisible orthodontics and the best known are those of the Invisalign trademark.
- Lingual brackets: They are a personalized system for each patient, and do not need very large or complex devices, the treatment time can be up to double as opposed to the metal and aesthetic braces. The advantages are that they do not look at all when they are behind the teeth.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Dental Braces?
- Improves the position, function and aesthetics of dental pieces.
- Get the bone and gums to look healthier
- Get the mouth to improve its condition and also oral hygiene.
- Relieves possible excessive pressures on the jaw joint.
- Improves digestion.
- Reduces the risk of dental wear and even loss of teeth.
- Reduce mouth infections, tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Can improve even speech and pronunciation.
- The risk of dental trauma is reduced.
- Enhances the patient’s self-esteem.
- Encourage good oral health.
- Increase the quality of life
- Cons: Sensitivity in the teeth, small sores on the cheeks, inflamed gums … are situations that will be recognized by all people who have used braces. These are common discomforts in an orthodontic treatment, some of which are more frequent in the period of adaptation. The good news is that most of them disappear when the treatment is advanced and the pressure on the teeth is less. Others can be alleviated with good dental hygiene and some simple recommendations
How Are Ceramic Braces Better Than Metal Braces?
The only advantage they have is aesthetically, because they work exactly like the metal ones.
How Are Clear Braces Better Than Traditional Metal Braces?
Their advantage is more than just in the aesthetic department. You have a better hygiene with clear braces so the side effects after you take them off are none at all.
What Are the Different Material Used to Make Braces?
- Aesthetic braces: This type of brackets usually have resin, ceramic or sapphire as the basic material.
- Metal braces: Metal is the material used. Most of them come from an alloy of steel (usually with cobalt, nickel and chromium), and even with titanium for people allergic to Nickel. There are also treatments which use gold brackets.
What is the Use of Braces For Teeth?
Basically, they are needed to correct dysfunctions of the bite, or of space and alignment of the teeth.
How Long Will it Take For Braces to Straighten my Teeth?”
It depends a lot on each case and each specialist. Orthodontics is adjusted monthly in order to achieve the desired appearance, these can take months or a couple of years depending on the level of difficulty to solve the problem.
Dental Office Near Me
At EdgeDental you will find some of the best orthodontists in the country. They have a state-of-the-art technology, so you will be able to have the latest treatments on the market. Aren’t you tired of not showing your smile in pictures? Then Book An Appointment Now!
When talking about braces, we are talking about orthodontics. Because they are a specific orthodontic treatment. When a friend tells us that they have put braces, they refer to the squares that are attached to the teeth and that are joined by a metal “thread”. The braces are placed to solve deficiencies in the bite. Food intake and aesthetics are two of the reasons why orthodontics triumphs in adults. Also, to avoid some dental diseases. At present, types of brackets of different materials are available, metal braces (they are the ones that are used more frequently, because of their resistance and lower economic cost), aesthetic braces (they are not as obvious to look at as metallic and can be made of plastic, ceramic, sapphire or polycarbonate) lingual braces (those go in the back of your teeth), and Invisalign: (they are clear, almost invisible and allow easier handling for the orthodontist). The only difference between the types of braces besides the material in which they are made, is in the aesthetic department and the time in which the treatment will last, as all of them work perfectly. The time that it will take for your teeth to be completely fixed will depend on the specialist and of the severity of your issue. At EdgeDental you will find some of the best Dentists in the